Wednesday, August 29, 2018

How to Save Cash When Die-ing

Irwin Tools Hexagon Die HNS6520, 1/4" #20


Years ago I was headed north through California’s central valley in a fog that would give London a run for its money. I reached for the the truck’s sideview mirror to make an adjustment and, to my horror, it came off in my hand. The next day, I asked my father-in-law if he knew of a junkyard (now promoted to “auto salvage dealer”) to buy a replacement mirror, but he had a better idea. A small threaded rod in the guts had broken, so he just rummaged around in his workshop for a matching piece of rod stock, dug out a die and a big wrench, and in a few minutes he’d fashioned a replacement. Almost two decades later, it’s still in there. “I gotta get me some of those!” I thought at the time, and soon after, I did.

Which is why I have a collection of Irwin Hex Dies, like my #6520 ¼-20 NC, which cuts 20TPI threads in quarter-inch rod stock. I also have 516- and 316-inch dies, all with the Irwin/Hanson brand and made in the USA by American Tool Company of Wilmington, Ohio.

These dies are flat hexagons that can – in fact, must – be turned (clockwise) with a wrench. The high-carbon steel dies are ¼ inch thick. Although they’ve spent fifteen or more years in a succession of outdoor workshops, none of my dies shows any rust.
One side’s printed with size, brand name, and “USA”; the back says “Start from other side.” That’s because the first set of cutters on the opposite side is absent so you can set it on the end of the rod stock to start cutting. Instead of a single hole like an ordinary hex nut, the die has three extra holes arranged like a shamrock or “mouse ears.” These allow scrap filings to escape. They also allow you to drip in cutting oil during use.

Over the years I’ve had many occasions to use the dies; from repairing banged-up threads on bolts to cutting new threads on rod stock for repairs around the house. Once I just extended the threads on an eye bolt that was too long for its intended use.

To use these dies, you’ll need a bench vise and a big (one-inch) wrench¹, not to mention some elbow grease: you’re cutting through steel, after all. The dies cut well in common steel stock, but probably aren’t hard enough for stainless or high-carbon steel. Still, you might be surprised at how many uses you can find for a set of dies!

Summary

PLUS: easy to use, durable, versatile, and a real money-saver sometimes
MINUS: not quite tough enough for high-carbon steel
WHAT THEY'RE SAYING: After a hacksaw, your first metal-working tools should probably be a set of dies. Like this one.

¹ you can also buy a specialized hex wrench with two handles that fits on the die, but it isn't absolutely necessary...
copyright © 2018 scmrak

No comments:

Post a Comment